Kaupapa Māori Organisations
Here are some pātai to help you get started:
- What is your kaupapa? How did it come about and why?
- Are the founders of your kaupapa still around? If not, what legacy did they leave you?
- What makes you a kaupapa Māori organisation or business?
- What role has te reo Māori played in your kaupapa? Has it changed over time?
- What are your stand-out successes and positives?
- Does your business or organisation have a te reo name? If so, where does it come from?
- Does your business or organisation have other te reo names e.g. departments, teams, meeting rooms and buildings? If so, tell us about the whakaaro behind these. How have they positively impacted your mahi and your team?
- Whose work is your business or organisation inspired by?
- Has your business or organisation been involved in any te reo milestones over the years? Perhaps any of the anniversaries being celebrated this year? What do you remember about them?
Hopes and dreams
- What do you hope the state of te reo is in your workplace in 10, 20 or 50 years’ time?
- What do you want the kaimahi in your workplace to know about your history and your te reo journey?
Use of te reo
- Do people speak te reo at your workplace? If so, how much and how did this come about? What are the challenges and benefits?
- Do you have a language plan or professional development available in te reo Māori? Do you provide staff lessons or attend wānanga? If so, what has the impact been?
- How is te reo Māori used in your mahi?
- Do you have bilingual office signage, a website or social media or promotional materials?
- Are you involved in teaching te reo Māori? If so, who do you teach it to?
- Do you provide services in te reo? What do you think the impact of this has been? Is it hard to find people in your profession who speak te reo to deliver these services?
- Do you create resources, publications or products in te reo Māori?
- Do you have language domains in your office (wāhi rūmaki reo) such as your kitchen during lunch time?
- Who have been the champions of te reo in your business/sector recently and in past years?
Celebrations of te reo Māori
- How has your business or organisation celebrated Te Wiki o te Reo Māori? What do you do? When did you start?
- Did your business or organisation participate in Te Wā Tuku Reo Māori / the Māori Language Moment in 2020 and 2021? If so, what did your workplace do to mark it?
- Has your workplace ever celebrated Matariki? What are some stories of how you celebrated in the past? Has Matariki becoming an official public holiday affected this at all?
- Does your business or organisation celebrate any other traditions where te reo Māori me ōna tikanga are important?